In today’s Austin360, Matthew Odam names his top burger in the city.
The cooking crew at Odd Duck must be pretty pleased to beat out places like Clark’s, Salt & Time and Hopdoddy’s, the last of which didn’t make the cut for the top 15.
Statesman videographer Tina Phan caught up with Odd Duck chef Mark Buley to find out his secrets to making such a great burger for this food pornorific video. In Wednesday, I wrote about how home cooks can make better burgers at home, and in the video, Buley shares quite a few tips that home cooks can steal.
- Brush the buns with butter.
- Use 7 oz. of a mix of ground chuck and brisket. They only use salt and pepper to season the meat.
- Cook cold patties over super high heat to get a good sear on the outside.
- Salt tomatoes before you put it on the burger.
- A garnish like arugula adds spice and texture.
- For cheese, try a mix of goat cheese and shredded Cheddar. Throw in some bacon if you’re feeling like it.